Yes, there is a right way and wrong way to remove a splinter. And most people, in the interest of saving a few minutes, practice the wrong way, whether they know it or not
How to remove a splinter
1) Wash your hands with soap and water or sanitize well with an alcohol-based sanitizer such as Purell.
2) Clean the area of the splinter and around it with rubbing alcohol or sanitizing pad.
3) Sanitize your tweezers and a needle if not already done, then dry them with a sterile cloth.
4) Using the needle, gently loosen the area around the splinter by drawing the skin away from the splinter.
5) Carefully remove the now hopefully freed splinter with the tweezers. Use caution not to break splinter.
6) Apply topical antibiotic ointment from your first aid kit. Cover with bandaid or bandage.