Learn to determine how much time before sunset, using only your hand. In a survival situation knowing how much daylight is left helps you set priorities such as shelter and fire. Follow these simple steps to calculate a rough estimate of how much sunshine is left!
How to determine remaining daylight
1) Locate the sun and the horizon, of course do not stare direclty at it.
2) From your shoulder extend your arm all the way and turn your hand palm towards you with your thumb tucked.
3) Estimate how many fingers are between the bottom of the sun and the horizon.
4) Each finger translates to roughly 15 minutes of remaining daylight.
5) Add the number of fingers to determine how much time you have left before sunset.