Poison Sumac Photo Gallery
All parts are poisonous! Symptoms: severe skin redness, itching, swelling, and blisters
Poison Sumac Habitat
Poison Sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) is often observed along trails in wet marshlands or in shady hardwood forests.
Poison Sumac Facts
Poison Sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) is common along wet moist trails, especially in areas that were recently flooded. Its fruit is not toxic to animals and is an important food source to many species of wildlife. Its pinnate leaves have 7 - 13 leaflets, each of which are about 2 to 4 inches long. The plant is extremely toxic to humans, yet extremely pretty. In the fall it has incredibly bright red foliage. The entire plant is poisonous. It contains a resin chemical called urushiol, which causes extreme pain. It is even worse if it is burning and accidentally inhaled. The chemical causes a rash on the inside of the lungs that may lead to pulmonary edema and death if not treated immediately.