Poison Ivy Photo Gallery
All parts are poisonous! Symptoms: severe skin redness, itching, swelling, and blisters
Poison Ivy Habitat
Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) is often observed along trails in wet marshlands along stream beds or in shady hardwood forests.
Poison Ivy Facts
Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) has incredibly bright red fall foliage. The entire plant is poisonous. It contains a resin chemical called urushiol, which causes extreme pain. It is even worse if it is burning and accidentally inhaled. The chemical causes a rash on the inside of the lungs that may lead to pulmonary edema and death if not treated immediately. Poison Ivy is very widespread and its size can vary depending upon its geographic locations. The easiest way to identify it is to look for clusters of three leaflets with an alternate leaf arrangement. Its stems lack thorns, and groups of three leaflets grow on their own stem, which connects to the main vine. Or simply remember “Leaflets three; let it be.” This also applies to poison oak.